As self-employment becomes a viable option for more and more adults with significant disabilities, give them realistic, practical guidance and support with the new edition of this popular guidebook.
Updated with a new and improved assessment approach, more self-employment success stories and the latest on policy changes and online opportunities, this book is your step-by-step guide to helping adults with disabilities get a small business off to a strong start.
You’ll discover the nuts and bolts of person-centered business planning, and you’ll get concrete, step-by-step strategies for every aspect, from business plans to marketing to finances. A must-have resource for employment specialists, transition professionals and individuals with disabilities and their families, this book is the go-to guide for turning a small business into a big success.
Support people with disabilities as they:
• discover their “personal genius” with a new assessment approach;
• build a thorough and professional business plan based on their goals and interests;
• successfully finance their small business using multiple revenue sources;
• market their business, from defining customers to advertising in a variety of media;
• maintain their benefits while navigating financial and social security systems; and
• make the most of valuable support from rehabilitation personnel, vocational counselors, school transition staff, and community programs.
Photocopiable planning worksheets, case studies that clearly illustrate the “how” of successful self-employment, and an annotated list of websites with vital information for small business owners.
What’s new in this edition?
- New, field-tested “Discovering Personal Genius” assessment approach
- Up-to-date ideas on using social media and technology to develop and market a business
- Completely revised information on person-centered business planning
- Updated information about online business opportunities