Prep and cook times 2 hours · Serves 10-15
• 1 lb ground beef
• 2 T olive oil
• 1 C onion, chopped
• 2 1/2 T chili powder
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 bay leaf
• 1/2 t ground cumin
• 4 t jalapeno, finely chopped
• 29 oz can diced tomatoes
• 15 oz can tomato sauce
• 16 oz can chili beans, undrained
• Salt and pepper to taste
You will need
Large sauce pan, large stirring spoon, measuring spoons, measuring cups, sharp cutting knife and cutting board.
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan, meanwhile, chop the onion.
2. Combine the beef and onions in a large sauce pan and cook until beef is brown. Drain excess fat.
3. Add chili powder, garlic, bay leaf, cumin, chili pepper, salt and pepper.
4. Add tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.
5. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally.
6. Stir in beans and heat through. Serve with preferred toppings, such as cheese, onions, or crackers.